COMPENSATION OF DEPOSITORS OF SBERBANK HUNGARY ZRT. BEGINS
(Budapest, 2 March 2022) In its Decision No. H-JÉ-I-74/2022, the Magyar Nemzeti Bank withdrew the banking licence of Sberbank Magyarország Zrt. ('Sberbank', 1088 Budapest, Rákóczi út 1-3.) and initiated the winding-up of the credit institution. As a consequence, the National Deposit Insurance Fund (OBA), the depositor protection fund, will start to compensate Sberbank's depositors under Act CCXXXVII of 2013 on Credit Institutions and Financial Enterprises (Act on the Protection of Depositors). According to the law, the OBA has 10 working days to provide the compensation to depositors. Based on the deposit and related interest claims deposited with Sberbank, the OBA will, as a general rule, pay compensation of up to HUF 38 047 000 per depositor to depositors identified by Sberbank under the Anti-Money Laundering Act.
The Magyar Nemzeti Bank (MNB) has revoked Sberbank's operating licence and initiated the winding-up of the credit institution by Resolution H-JÉ-I-74/2022. Pursuant to Article 217(1) of the Hpt., the OBA will start the compensation on 3 March 2022, the day after the notification of the MNB's decision, and will make it available to depositors within ten working days, i.e. by 18 March 2022.
As a general rule, OBA will pay compensation of up to EUR 100 000 per depositor on the principal and interest amount of the deposit, calculated at the MNB exchange rate of the day before the day on which the compensation starts, for the registered deposits guaranteed by OBA and deposited with Sberbank, up to a maximum of HUF 38 047 000.
In the event that the depositor has a deposit claim exceeding the amount of HUF 100 000 or not guaranteed by the OBA, a creditor claim may be filed for the part of the deposit not paid by the OBA in the winding-up proceedings to be opened shortly.
Depositors do not have to file a claim in order to receive compensation. The OBA will automatically make the payments based on the customer data held by the bank and will send a personalised notification to the depositor's permanent address registered with Sberbank. In addition, OBA will inform depositors of the method of compensation and the start of payments by means of notices published on its website, in the press and posted in Sberbank branches.
In the coming days, OBA will provide detailed information on the compensation of Sberbank depositors on its website ( www.oba.hu ) and in notices posted on the Sberbank website.
For more information:
- Deposits placed with credit institutions incorporated in the European Union are insured by the national deposit guarantee institution established in the country of incorporation. The main task of the OBA, which has been at the service of depositors since 1993, is to compensate depositors in the event of the closure of a credit institution from the OBA's accumulated assets.
- The OBA pays compensation to the beneficiary in HUF up to a maximum of €100 000 per person and per credit institution for the capital and interest on the frozen deposit.
- In its largest compensation case ever, in 2015, the OBA paid HUF 103 billion to 73,000 depositors of the DRB banking group within 20 working days. The compensation experience is described in the OBA White Paper, available on the OBA website (www.oba.hu).
- The deadline for payment of OBA compensation is 10 working days from 1 January 2021.
- As of 1 January 2021, deposits whose owner has been identified in accordance with Act LIII of 2017 on the Prevention and Combating of Money Laundering and Terrorist Financing (AML/CFT) will be considered as OBA-insured.
- The customer information brochure "Guide to Deposit Insurance", compiled on the basis of the provisions governing the operation of the OBA, can be downloaded from the OBA website: www.oba.hu .
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Betetvedelem/